The pieve Santa Maria di Chianni church is mentioned in the travel notes of Sigeric the Serious as the 20th stage (mansio) in his trip from Rome to Canterbury. The present Pisan-style building with its heavy stone masonry and columns, dates from the twelfth century, and is an architectural evidence of the influence of Pisa in this area.
In the 10th century, Lucca was the capital of the Duchy of Tuscia, but Pisa was the most important city. Bishop Liutprand of Cremona called Pisa Tusciae provinciae caput (“capital of the province of Tuscia”), and one century later the marquis of Tuscia was commonly referred to as “marquis of Pisa”. By the 11th century, Pisa was an economic powerhouse with a strong marine that dominated the Mediterranean trade.
Pisa was apparently instrumental in the siege of Jerusalem during the First Crusade in 1099. On their way to Jerusalem, 123 Pisan ships, led by archbishop and latin patriarchate Dagobert, established trading posts and colonies in Syria, Lebanon and Palestine.